Wednesday 25 June 2014

My Grandpa My Role Model

My Grandfather. A fearless man. Bold and Strong. He feared nobody except the Almighty God. One who did not let himself get swayed away with the waves of Life. He would remain calm, composed and wait till the tide pulled back itself. He never lost hope and faith in Life even when the most ill-luck stuck him. 

A large hearted person, whom I have often seen giving away clothe, food and money to the poor and the needy. While travelling home, once he even gave away his favorite sweater to a poor man who was shivering in cold and who had very little clothe hung onto his bare body. That sweater was the one knitted by his eldest daughter and gifted with love.  




He used to say "There would be good days and bad days in Life. Be brave. Accept the good and the not-so good equally. And then one day, the bad times would be over so soon without even having you realising that."  And about my grandmother, she was an equally sweet lady.

My grandfather came to India after the 1947 partition as a 16 year old young lad. Quite devastated and uprooted, he somehow managed to continue his education. Then one day he received an offer to join the Indian Railways. However, he had to quit due to mounting pressure from the family members who did not approve of him staying separately and away from home. Things were not so liberal at that time and also, there was lot of emotional attachment in the family. 


Gradually days turned into months and months into years. He understood it was time to make a bold say in the family. He no longer wanted to strive at the earnings of the elder brothers. He started off his own business. Initially, he began in a small way. As money started pouring in, he saved a little out of it for re-investment. Thus began his story of success. He eventually established a very successful transport business and earned the respect and honor he deserved. I remember how I loved listening to him as he narrated his early days. He was a avid book reader too. He always stood by me and instilled faith and courage in me.


Today, though he is not with me anymore, he still resides in my heart and mind. I respect him and am grateful to God for letting me have him as my grandfather. May I have him in my every birth. Grandpa, you are one in a million! You shine higher than the stars in the sky.






I am writing about #MyRoleModel as a part of the activity by Gillette India in association with BlogAdda.com

No comments:

Post a Comment